My family of 5

Friday, December 07, 2007

Our Family is Complete

Nolan Christopher was born Dec. 1 at 5:44pm weighing in at 7lbs 8oz, 20.5 inches long.

My birth story is as follows:

Last Saturday we woke up and took my final belly pic and arrived at the hospital at around 8:15am for my induction. The nurse hooked me up to the monitor and did a quick tracing of the baby. My OB called around 8:30am and said he'd be in around 9am to start the induction. At that time he checked me and said I was about 1-2cm dilated and 60% effaced and decided he'd use the gel this time and if it didn't work he'd break my water *6hrs later* and start pitocin. So at 9 he inserted the gel. I had to stay flat, and on the monitor for an hr. after that we went walking. I had maybe one or 2 contractions the whole time while we walked around the hospital. Nothing was happening at all. At around 12 noon we went back to my room and got hooked up the monitor and basically just waited till my OB came back to decide on his next plan of action.

At 2:45pm he came in and checked me, I was only 2cm, he decided then that he was going to break my water and start the pit. So after he broke my water the contractions started, they were about 10 minutes apart, but bearable. The nurse then started my IV, which I HATE, but anyway, it was done, then the pitocin was started at about 3:30pm. The contractions hit at about 2-3minutes apart immediately. I breathed through them and was pretty damn uncomfortable until I asked for my epidural at about 4pm. The nurse checked me at that time and said I was 3cm, she told me she'd call my OB and tell him that I wanted one. So he said that was fine, and he'd call the anesthesiologist and call if she couldn't make it there right away. No calls meant she'd be there soon. While I was waiting I had a shot of fentanyl to take the edge off, which really didn't do much for my pains.

So at 4:36pm the anesthetist showed up, my nurse decided to check me first and I was at 4cm, and thinning more, at 4:38pm I had my epidural, within 5 minutes, sweet relief. It worked this time. It was amazing. :)

So got my catheter and layed on my side. The baby was doing fine, heartrate would dip the odd time but still looked good. Ahhh it was great, time to relax, since I had a crappy sleep the night before anticipating the days events.

Around 5:20pm I started getting some awful pressure feeling. So the nurse checked me and said I was at 6cm and fully effaced, of course I never mentioned that it was storming here, beautiful snowstorm. The nurse called my OB to let him know he should come in soon. He lives fairly close but things were moving fast. Maybe about 5 minutes later I had more of that pressure, she checked me, I was at 7cm. 10 minutes passed and I was fully dilated. It was about 5:40 at that time, only 3 hrs short since he broke my water. The other nurse was checking out the window to see if he was coming in since they knew he was coming, they had no time to do an overhead page for any Dr. to deliver him, so my OB nurse delivered him herself at 5:44pm. I didn't push at all, pretty much the same as when I had Ava. He was perfect, cried immediately. My OB showed up about 5 minutes after he was born. He was there to at least deliver the placenta. lol. I had no tears and needed no stitches. I would say this was my best delivery and our family is finally completed. I was given him to start nursing about 20 minutes after he was born and he latched on perfectly and has been doing great since. I love this little guy so much :)

Since I've had him, things have been going ok, we are in the inlaws and it's getting 'better' if that's a term to use. They really haven't been around much so that's good.

The kids they love him to death. The oldest oddly is the hardest one to deal with since he's been born, I think she's the most jealous. Ava she loves him and wants to hold him ALLL The time, it's cute, she yells gimmie him, gimmie him! She's not doing too bad though, surprisingly enough. The other 2 kids just come around once and awhile. They are doing great with him.

Hubby still hasn't gotten me the internet to use so I'm using my SIL's pc right now. I'll post some pics when I get it set up at home.

25 Comments:

At 2:01 PM , Blogger Lisanne said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :) I'm so glad that you had such a positive delivery experience. Welcome to the world, Nolan! I love his name! How amazing that your OB nurse delivered him, hehe :) Did you get a picture of the two of them together! I hope that you're doing OK and are recovering well. Glad to hear that nursing is also going terrifically! I can't wait to see pictures and hear more.

 
At 2:11 PM , Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I was just wondering this mornoing when you would get a chance to post! So glad to hear all went well and I am glad you went with Nolan, it's a beautiful name! Can't wait to see pics.

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger Becca said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad that everyone is home and healthy and it sounds like everything went pretty smooth! Can't wait to see the pictures.

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger Erin said...

YAY, congratulations!! I've been checking back nearly every day hoping to hear you'd had him! Can't wait to see the pics!

 
At 2:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah! Congrats! So exciting! What a wonderful labor story. I love that name too. Looking forward to pics!

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Claudia said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures of the little one.

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Merr said...

YAY! Conratulations! I was wondering if he was here or not. Can't wait for pictures!

 
At 4:51 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Yay! Congratulations!! Happy Birthday Nolan!

Oh I can't wait to see pictures!

Glad to hear that all went well!

 
At 5:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations... what a blessing. Im sure he is cute like his brother and sisters...

 
At 6:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contratulations!!! Now that's my kind of birth story. Great name, and great size, not too big, not too small. Along with everyone else I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger Anth said...

Congratulations!!! I'm glad your labor went so well! Can't wait to see little Nolan!!! Get as much sleep as you can. :)

 
At 9:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!! I am so jealous you didn't have to push!! Can't wait to see pics!

 
At 10:00 PM , Blogger Paige said...

Congratulations!!!!! How wonderful it must be to have your family complete!

 
At 10:42 PM , Blogger alissa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Hurray up and post those photos... I can't wait to see the little guy!!!

 
At 11:28 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations! Glad it went well, and I bet he's beautiful!

 
At 8:14 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Oh, CONGRATULATIONS! I've been checking & checking for an update! :)

How fabulous that you had such a great birth experience - I hope that when I reach number four or five I won't have to push! BTW - Nolan was born the day after Addison!

Congrats again, can't wait to see pictures.

~Jessica
http://legaladdictivestimulants.blogspot.com/

 
At 9:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the name. That is on our top name list for boys. Glad it went so smoothly. Congrats, again!

Devynn
www.harrisonandmommy.wordpress.com

 
At 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!

 
At 9:40 AM , Blogger Liz said...

I knew when I saw you had a new post up that your little boy must've arrived.

Congratulations to you and the whole family! What an entrance. and I'm so glad the epidural worked for you!

Welcome baby Nolan!

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger Denise said...

Yay congrats. Born on my birthday!!!

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Lisanne said...

Oh, I forgot to say ~ we have a friend who turned 19 this year ~ on December 1st! hehe :)

 
At 12:54 AM , Blogger my4kids said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
I'm so glad it went so well. Can't wait to see pictures and I love his name!!

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've been wondering when we get to see the little guy. Congratulations to the whole family. I'm amazed you managed to wait for the epidural that long. I screamed for the drugs!

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

cheer and congrats.... sooo cute!! But how did I miss this until now... ack... but so glad you got a Christmas gift early!

 
At 4:02 AM , Blogger Laura McIntyre said...

Congrats, just love the name.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home