My family of 5

Friday, February 09, 2007

Work is so much more demanding than I ever expected.

It's not the physical demanding that I thought, it's the mental exhaustion. The floor I work on is basically orthopedics but at times we get a mixture of medical patients, as well as pallative. Anyway, most often the patients turn medical after they've had their hip fixed and then they can no longer walk the way they used to.

Anyway, I discovered this past week I couldn't work in pallative care. Oh my goodness. This sweet little old lady (94, full of lukemia) She was as smart as could be, telling me stories of her past. I would sit with her for hours, at night of course, so she wouldn't be alone. She was terrified to be by herself, and who the hell wouldn't be, she could die at any time. Anyway, she was too cute. Friday last week she passed away. How freakin sad! I know, I know, the whole boundary thing with patients and all but sometimes you just take to the sweet ones. Her family was so thankful to us and how we cared for and treated their mom. It's so nice to see people appreciate what you have done for their family.

Then you get assholes.

This one guy we had last week, well I had to chew the inside of my mouth to keep from saying something I so desparately wanted to say to him. He was ranting about how he wanted to be served food IMMEDIATELY. My job was to SERVE HIM NOW AND WHENEVER HE SAYS SO. Well shit, that's a surprise, don't count the 16 other patients that I am solely responsible for. Nope drop all things so you can wait on him and and foot. What a nutjob. Anyway, he's gone, thank God, it was a trying time on my behalf to keep my composure and stay professional.

Then there are the family members.

OH.MY.GOD. I would have to say this by far is the hardest. You just never know what is going on in people's lives, until you get up close and personal. I could go on and on about insane family members, demanding certain things for their mother or father. I just don't get it, the unit is staffed with 3 rn's and one 1 lpn. One of the rn does medication, so count them out. So there you have it, 3 nurses to 17 people. So when mom has to go to the bathroom right now, (this is the mom who won't stand on her legs after her hip was fixed last month) I'm supposed to drag her to the can as I break my back, yah right. Whatever. Mom can wait.... I need this job to pay my bills, mom can hold on a sec. URGH!

Overall though, I do like my job. Just these little annoyances that I have to work through and figure out how to not let them get to me. I'm sure that comes with experience, that or you just stop caring.

Anyway, change of topic, I do believe we may try this month. I'm on cd 9 so in the next few days I may ovulate, I may not, we may go for it, or we may not! It's so up in the air. We shall let whatever happens, happen.

Must go now, going on a mini-vacation. A much needed one. I'll post when I'm back. Take care all.

11 Comments:

At 10:46 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

my mom and you would sooo get a long and the nursing stories you could tell each other... my lord lol...

I hope you have fun on your mini vacation!!

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger David said...

enjoy your break. you deserve it!

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Hope you have a good vacation!!

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger liz said...

enjoy your mini-holiday!

i'm green with envy over here. would it be tacky for me to invite myself along on your trip? :-)

 
At 2:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ... that's why I love paeds!! No breaking your back when someone has to go to the bathroom. Unless, of course, you get a 200 pound teenager.

 
At 4:21 PM , Blogger Merr said...

Have fun, you have been very busy lately!

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger Tonya said...

My sister is an RN and she has told me lots of stories like that as well.. the good and the bad.. Hope you have a good minivacation :)

 
At 2:04 AM , Blogger Hannah said...

Girl, you rock! I only have one and am worried I won't have time for another. Good luck with your decision. :-)

 
At 9:13 AM , Blogger Anita said...

I worked in long term care and yes you get the good and the bad, but remember that you are touching their lives in some way small or big and what your learning and gaining from them, your having just as much of an impact on them...

You can learn so much about yourself and about life if you give them the chance to show you..

Try to enjoy it and not let the anger of others hit you remember it wasn't their choice to be there..

Good luck

 
At 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been any good at the boundary in patient/nurse relationship. Part of what makes a nurse a nurse is that we got in it to care for others right? We put ourselves into making others feel better. I've seen the purely medical nurses, void of feeling and expression...yuck! I'd rather be the smiling breath of fresh air in a sterile hospital then the tight lipped boundary setting nurse! Good for you for spending time with that sweet old woman! It is so hard when our patients die. We would have serious problems if that didn't affect us!

 
At 8:04 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I hope you had a nice getaway! Any pictures to share?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home