My family of 5

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Since my computer is being an ass, I decided to post here the answer to Claudia's question.

My son was always a sickly kid, but in October '06 he was sicker than usual. He had dropped to 39lbs and was vomiting pretty much every second evening. I thought that maybe it was the flu for the first week of this sickness but then it was getting to be too much of a routine. I then thought oh well sounds like reflux, he'd wake up vomit, then go back to bed. So I figured after the 4 weeks of this, it was time to see the Dr. We both thought given the symptoms that it was most likely reflux but she wanted to do bloodwork too, just to check him over, since I have Crohn's, if it were that his ESR would be elevated. She had also mentioned she would test for celiac disease since he was getting bloodwork done too, one local pediatrician said it was the "under-diagnosed" childhood disease. That was in November when he had that bloodwork done.

December came and I made an appt for the kids to get their flu shots. Imagine my surprise when she told me his bloodwork came back + for celiac disease. Now I had to wait for an appt to see a pediatrician to get a biopsy done, because even though his bloodwork was + he may still not have it. Well he could infact develop it later on, the dilemma still exists, should you go gluten-free to prevent what may eventually turn out to be celiac, who knows. But now I wait. I will actually finally know after all this freakin' time if he indeed has to go on that diet by 3pm my time. It's now 2pm. One more friggen hr.

I had asked one Dr. about behavior/learning difficulties and attitudes related to celiac disease said, "not in my knowledge but if you research on the internet you may find some correlation". Well ironically enough, I have found PLENTY of information with children being misdiagnosed as ADHD, all the while having celiac disease. When given the proper diet the child actually was better, now some children still end up having learning disabilities too. But many documented journal articles I've read, had the extreme of psychosis, which resulted from untreated celiac disease. With my major rant here, I am desparate to know for sure if my son has this before I write him off as having ADD, he may need a total dietary change and he may, just may, do better in school, hey I can pray right?? lol.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:31 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I'm so glad you find out this afternoon, all these months is a long time to wait! I hope you get the answers you're looking for! :)

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger liz said...

I hope you get the answers you're looking for this afternoon.
We'll be keeping you in our thoughts, and keep us posted.
How interesting though, the correlation between misdiagnosed ADHD and celiac disease. I can't say I know much about celiac, but I'm going to go Google it now so I can learn.

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger Claudia said...

Thank you so much for the information!

I will ask his pediatrician to run some bloodwork on it the next time she sees him.

 
At 11:13 AM , Blogger Mike Eberhart said...

Wouldn't it be nice if a definitive answer was easy to acquire? It's tough not knowing what the real cause of various symptoms is, and with the varied presentations of Celiac, it makes it even more of a challenge figuring things out.

Well, if CD is the culprit, feel free to check out my Gluten-Free News site, and there are links to GF recipes from there too if you want to bake anything.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home