My family of 5

Monday, September 17, 2007

Well I went to meet the teacher on Thursday night.

My son's teacher apparently didn't realize how bad his disability was, she did know he was getting tested but didn't know if I had done it privately or was waiting for the school to do it. So I informed her that I did get it done myself and am waiting impatiently for the results to be mailed to me so we can determine how on earth we'll approach teaching this child. She was giving a little talk to all the parents and said how children in the grade have a reading level of G to N, I felt like crying E's is only at level C. Anyway, she reassured me that putting him in grade 2 is the best for him, that he'll have his learning needs met and to repeat grade 1 wouldn't make a difference. I still feel as though he is struggling so much, he just has such a hard time.

Little E (my daughter) was tested also and is referred to all the intensive reading programs already. Fuck, I just said to her teacher, Oh god here we go again, I think she thought I was nuts, but she has no idea what we went through last year with my son, only to repeat it again this year with her, and not to mention lifelong. I don't think she got my frustration that night. lol. Oh well what can I do but my best to try and help them.

On to other things, I'm working, all the fucking time, what else is new. I'm a bad facebooker and blogger these days. I am just too darn tired. Thought I'd write this down, because I'm sure I'll forget in no time with the way my brain is these days.

5 Comments:

At 11:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Breathe. We love you. We know you'll get back to us sometime.

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger Chastity said...

This is such a touchy thing to comment on. I just hope that you continue to have hope that your son (and daughter) can catch up, because they CAN! Once they are "diagnosed" and start receiving the extra support they need at school there will be some real hope as long as they keep a positive. From my experience in education, it's when the kids lose hope themselves that they really start falling apart academically.

 
At 3:35 AM , Blogger my4kids said...

I agree! Breathe!!
Honestly I know what you are going through. Getting Izzak tested was really only the begining so I know. It is very frustrating but all you can do it be there for them and support them and make sure they are getting the help they need. Your kids knowing that really will help them

 
At 11:59 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

I have no idea what that reading scale is that they used... but trust me when I say this... it will work out... I have so many LD it isn't even funny... my sister has even more... I have a college degree... and she has taken some college classes... if we can do it... your kids can do it too... just make reading and homework fun!

 
At 2:24 AM , Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I don't even think Liam was at a level C at the beginning of Grade 2. If I recall he was still struggling through level A. If it turns out that E has a serious LD will he be able to stay in the school he is now or is there programming at another school? I'm sure I've said this before- but I really do feel for you on this one, it is hard to watch your kids struggle.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home