My family of 5

Thursday, September 21, 2006

I went to parent teacher last night for my son and oldest daughter. I never had any concerns about my oldest, she loves school and catches on quickly enough. My son, I am worried. I saw his teacher and she basically told me that he isn't a disruptive child, if anything he's quite well behaved, it's just when it comes to doing the actual school work, he'll do anything but! She says he'll sit there and it's like he's in his own world. He 3 pages behind the rest of the kids in his class too. It's as if he never learned anything in primary. I mean, he doesn't have the basics yet. Ugh, I'm so upset. Does anyone have any advice as to how to help him? I know there are some fellow teacher bloggers out there, have you ever taught children like that and still had some hope to grade! Ack, I'm thinking he'll fail. I know it's the first of the school year and all that, and he's got to get adjusted. But you know what, last year it was the same torture to do the schoolwork. Anyway, just had to vent that about him.

Oh on the whole SIL thing, still not talking to her. She actually drove my children's schoolbags and jackets up the driveway and then threw them out halfway up! (we live supppppppper close to one another on the same driveway) i was like what the hell? Who does that? Blah, wishing she'd drop off the planet more and more these days.

Well my friend who's expecting twins went in to be induced on Monday and it didn't work. She's still hanging on to them. She'll go in on Monday again, for the 3rd time to get induced. I sure hope it works this time, because she'll need a section and she totally doesn't want that.

Must go get kiddies off to the bus, take care all :)

10 Comments:

At 8:56 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Oh my goodness, you poor thing with your sister-in-law! Where does she get such attitude?

I'm sorry about the frustrations with your son, too. I hope you're able to get some answers (sorry I can't help!).

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Anita said...

I don't know what to say about your son as my only child is just now going to school, but I am sure someone will help you with the answers. Maybe it is boring to him, maybe he knows all the answers right away then gets bored with it all?...good luck anyway..

Hope you can learn to breathe when your sil is around, you don't need people like that in your life to stress you out life is stressful enough...

Keep smiling!!!!!

 
At 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would totally SUCK, having to be induced THREE times! Wow! So sorry about your sister-in-law. :(

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger MSU gal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger MSU gal said...

i wish your son's teacher would spend some energy to figure out your son's scholastic interests and try to get him excited about the work, but it seems like motivational teachers are few and far between. many teachers don't concentrate on the individual student. They focus on the entire class curriculum and expect all the kids to act like carbon copies of each other.

 
At 12:26 PM , Blogger Tonya said...

OMG with the SIL thing!! I would want to smack her upside the head! Sorry but that would totally tick me off...

I'm sorry I dont have any advice on the school thing.. have not BTDT but I sure hope you find something that will help.

Good luck to your friend on the 3rd attempt.. I sure hope it works. C-sections suck.. at least mine did.. lol

 
At 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How rude of your SIL! I'm sooo sorry you have to deal with that!

Many children, often the really bright ones, go through those stages. I taught middle school before I became a SAHM mom, and I saw that a lot. Often, with a bit of maturity, they grow out of it. Good luck! Things will hopefully get better soon. :-)

 
At 12:07 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Fellow teacher here . . . and I teach 4th grade. There are a variety of reasons why he could be in his own little world, but I would suspect he is either bored, easily distracted by others, or possibly visual instead of auditory.

Like the other poster said, his teacher needs to try to see if he would be more interested in doing his work in different ways. Whether that be a different spot in the room or different work completely, he is totally capable of continuing on and learning what it is he or she is teaching WITHOUT failing.

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger SongBird said...

Your description of your son sounds so much like my niece. She was a daydreamer and constantly behind. When her mother questioned her about why she didn't complete an assignment or why she made obvious mistakes on things, my niece would say that she was thinking about something usually unrelated to school. She simply had a difficult time with learning to focus on school tasks. As she matured, she did much better in school. She is in 7th grade now and is a solid A and B student. My niece is still a dreamer with a wonderful imagination. I think she simply learned how and when to focus her thoughts on the task at hand.

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Chastity said...

There are so many things that could be behind your son's school issues. As a teacher, I've seen them all. I kind of resent what one of your posters above said about teachers wanting kids to be carbon copies of one another. I don't think that's true at all for the most part. Many kids have trouble focusing, and it seems like boys tend to have this problem more often that girls. For many boys it helps to hold them back a year to give them some time to mature, but there is research that proves that holding a child back past the fifth grade does more harm than good. That is always a tough call something that the parent really needs to invest a lot of time and prayer in before making a decision. It could be that he has a learning disability (which in itself is not a huge deal, most kids grow out of them), that he has attention deficit problems (again, something kids outgrow), that he's bored, or that he's just a little boy with his head in the clouds. If I were you I'd seek the help of his current teacher, his past teachers, and maybe even the help of a professional. It may just take a doctor saying "He's completely normal for a boy his age" to make you feel more at ease.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home