My family of 5

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Well, I went to work last night at the nursing home that I do the occasional shift at. The staffing lady called me back in August desparate to have me do this shift, so I agreed. Yesterday before I went in, I just prayed it would be an easy going shift with no actively dying patients. I wasn't up for that yesterday. I know one time I went in to work and not 20 minutes into my shift the workers told me one of the residents had died. Yesterday wasn't too bad. BUT it was busy. There were about 10 new residents since I had last been there.

I swear I must have given about 10 insulins yesterday. Everytime I blinked I had to run over to the other unit to give them their shots and then back to my unit. Since I'm the only one who can give them. That's the reason she was desparate to have me work, because the CNA's cant' give them at this nursing home.

Another thing I didn't want to have to deal with was Dr. visit's. Of course one of the Dr.'s came in about an hour after shift started. There's nothing more embarrassing then having the Dr. ask questions about the resident and not be able to tell him very much of anything. I find nursing homes have less of a report to give to oncoming staff since it's such a small place and they are the same people day in and day out, and the staff are all the same and they know all the residents. Well I haven't been there in a year. I don't know much other than the fact that this lady is displaying symptoms of an upper resp. tract infection. Anyway, I managed to survive this. Like when I saw him coming, I'm like mrs. x is not feeling well could you go see her and he's all like, that's why I"m here. I thought to myself, "ok, when did i become psychic, because the tone in your voice makes me feel as though I should have known this is the only reason you would grace us with your presence". I turn red easily, it wasn't hard to tell i was embarrassed. lol.

Anyway, I made it through the wonderful shift and get to go back to torture myself next week. LOL.

4 Comments:

At 2:33 PM , Blogger Silly Hily said...

I'm glad you had a fairly easy shift.
How was it leaving that sweet baby girl? Maybe it wasn't that hard since you knew this was only one day.

 
At 2:39 PM , Blogger Emmakirst said...

It wasn't bad at all. I think like you said, since it was just one shift and I know that she's with her father. I think when I go back full time that will be another story. :(

 
At 7:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh don't even get me started on the tones of voice of doctors. They can be so snotty!!

 
At 12:05 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

wow... you did great... how did you deal with pumping?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home