My family of 5

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

One Year Ago Already!

Wow, it's been a year since I graduated from nursing. I never imagined this is how my first year out working would have gone but hey, can't ask for anything better right now.

I spent 3 yrs doing my nursing degree. It was actually something that I never dreamt I would become. My hubby used to be a carsalesman, and he was really beginning to hate his job.(I can't blame the guy, ugh) So I ran by this idea of going back to school, since I had completed 3 yrs of a business degree. It was July too, so the deadline to apply for school was coming close and fast. He thought about it and said, do whatever you think is best.

Well I was on the phone with my father in law and he was talking about how I'd make a good nurse. Since he thought I was great with kids, they were aged 5, 19mos and 2 mos at the time. So I thought about what he was saying and figured, hey maybe I could do this, it has interested me in the past, I'll apply what's the worst that could happen, they'd say no.

I applied and did get rejected. But this turned out to be my mission at the time, LOL. So I took a year of sciences and did great in my courses and off to university I went. (fast forward 4 yrs and here we are now).

I have to say, school was pretty rough, I had forgotten what it was like to study all the time, plus take care of 3 children, but I did it. And better yet, when I went to back to university, hubby stayed home on parental leave. Anyway, I got the great idea that he should try to go in to be a nurse and well a year later he did and we were both in school at the same time. How we managed with 3 small kids, both in school, I'll never know. Basically just one day at a time. That's pretty much how I live now, LOL. That's all we can do!

In 2003, I finally took that last business course I needed and graduated with my BBA.

Here's a pic of my lovely grad ring, what the whole experience (as we thought as students came down to, but holy crap, it all started when we finished!)

I


7 Comments:

At 9:56 PM , Blogger Chastity said...

There's something fulfilling in finally getting a college degree..even if you don't end up using it. I have considered being a nurse actually. I think I'd be good at it, but considering my degree is in English Education...I'd have to start over pretty much in school, not much Science required for my degree. Plus, I don't know if I could give up a job that gives me two months off in the summer and several other long breaks throughout the school year.

 
At 3:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, where's the picture?! We don't have graduation rings, or championship rings etc of any kind in SA, it's a great tradition and I wish our country would take up the tradition though. It certainly would make judging people by appearances a bit easier. HA HA HA [big belly laugh]

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

We didn't have graduation rings either for graduating from college/uni... all I got for graduating was a butt load of student loans lol...

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I don't know how you did it. I had 2 kids and did a four month NA program to figure out if I wanted to do the LPN program or really buck up and go back to school for the RN. I remembered how much I hated bodily functions though, and am now looking in another direction! The ring I got when I finished turned my finger green. A sign, I'm sure.

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Wow, you're superwoman! And you're still so young--you should be really proud.

 
At 4:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is cool. I wish I could go back to school and be something! I am too scared though.

 
At 6:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post, you should be so proud of yourself! I hope to go back to school eventually. Good for you for making it happen!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home